History of Vanahis
Nakertaja’s first school started in 1922 in a house owned by the Hukkanen brothers. The villagers built the first actual school building together as a community project and it opened its doors in 1924. “Looks like they are building a university, such a big heap of material they are using,” the villagers used to joke as they saw the school building raising from the ground. The school operated in the original building until 1977, when the current school building was opened. After that, the old school building served as a base for a variety of adult learning classes and courses.
In 1993, the Village Association started renting the old school building, named Vanahis. In 1999, the association acquired full ownership of the building, and in 2002 Vanahis was renovated and refurbished for its present day use.
Vanahis serves as a place of action and gathering for the whole village. To name but a few of its functions, Vanahis houses a post office serving the community; little ones and young ones have their own spaces, namely the afterschool club and youth club; then the elderly folk, Ikinuoret or ‘Forever-Youngs’ also use the house regularly, and there is the fitness centre, open to all.
Vanahis also houses the Village Association’s office, as well as the booking office for Areena Service Centre. You will find Vanahis about four kilometres from central Kajaani, in Paltaniementie road towards the airport. Look up our location here.
Vanahis is available for hire for private functions: birthdays, graduations, religious rite of passage parties, memorial services, training sessions and even for fancy balls.
Further information: tel. +358 400 794 867.
Nakertaja-Hetteenmäen kyläyhdistys ry.